Dots Diner - The Reboot Fan Forum
Dots Diner - A Reboot Fan Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:55:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

3x07 - Number 7

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3x07 - Number 7  (Read 1034 times)
User
CPU
Lurker

« on: July 14, 2007, 01:57:00 am »

Written by: Dan Didio
Story by: Gavin Blair, Phil Mitchell, Dan DiDio, Ian Pearson
New voice: Ian James Corlett as Bob.

This is the third part of a four-part story: "The Net"

* "Icons"
    * "Where No Sprite Has Gone Before"
    * "Number 7"
    * "The Episode With No Name"

Story
Matrix hates golf games, but this one has a twist. He and AndrAIa are in what looks like Mainframe, but Megabyte, Hexadecimal, Phong, Dot and Bob(!!) are acting out-of-character. Things become bizarre as Matrix finds that he is "The Prisoner" in the game. [A wonderful homage of the TV series from 1967.]

Synopsis
It's a lovely blue sky with thin white clouds (think of the Microsoft shutdown screen) that turns to game-cube purple and black.

Yet another voice intones the warning: "incoming game". This time the game cube descends on a world completely covered with big dish radio antenna. Must be a remote monitoring system; there are no sprites or binomes in sight.

Our three heroes are seen in a glass-walled elevator rising up the central spire of an antenna. Once again Matrix's negativity is showing; they've left with the game five times now, and the user keeps putting the same game cube back into this forlorn system.

Matrix: I give up.
AndrAIa: Too late, lover

Inside the game is a series of floating golf-course links. "Oh, great. Another golf game." Glitch doesn't work at all in this game, but AndrAIa has noticed something a lot more important. Mainframe. (Or an incredible simulation.) They walk to the edge of the lawn and look down on city that has a Principal Office colored with pastel blue, green and yellow. It looks like Mainframe, but can't be.

AndrAIa and Matrix are debating its existance, when they are distracted by two rocket powered robots and two people on zipboards flying overhead. Hack (the red one) and Slash (the blue), look like they are playing along with some sort of gag. Bob says, "we'll never catch them". Then Dot winks, and says (obviously wanting to be overheard), "Oh, Bob! I have never seen you so angry. Please don't hurt Hack and Slash when you catch them."

Of course, the two bumbling mechanoids start arguing with each other allowing Bob to sneak up. He's not really angry at them, but has them "assume the position" and uses Glitch to knock them, golfball wise, into the top of the Tor. Just before he declares a hole in one, Bob circles his eye with thumb and forefinger, and calls out, "be seeing you".

Matrix does not believe it is possible to have the entire city as game sprite mode. "The city is firmware - that wouldn't explain Bob, or a functional Glitch." AndrAIa wants to reboot to see what happens, but Matrix is afraid to - he might turn up as little Enzo, and he doesn't want to see any part of that weak little boy now. But it's the only way to find out.

The three heros reboot simultaneously, but Frisket's transformation gets over quicker. He is now the basketball sized cat - Scuzzy. AndrAIa is wearing Hexadecimal's old red costume, and Matrix is the blue metallic Megabyte. "We've gone viral. I guess this rules out the family reunion."

Phong is discussing with Bob and Dot the ramifications of Hexadecimal and Megabyte teaming up. The last thing he says is that they must not find out about Number 1 when it becomes ovious that this scene is being replayed on Scuzzy's projection dome. "Stop replay, Scuzzy" says Andria in Hex's voice. (Frisket hates being called by that name, and "Scuzzy" displays his fangs.)

Matrix is sitting in Megabyte's chair (sans legs), and just slides around when he tries to get up. AndrAIa/Hex is amused.

Locating Number 1 must be the objective of the game, but Matrix isn't so sure. His statement triggers more useless chatter from Hack and Slash, which is silenced only when Megabyte's voice yelling "will you two imbeciles be quiet!". They give the "be seeing you" sign and exit.

Back in the Principal Office (the old marble hall), Bob is remarking that Megabyte's change of face is more like Hexadecimal's actions. They are interrupted by a binome warning of an incoming bogie. Or maybe a birdie. (Not an eagle?)

The signature tune from "The Prisoner" starts up as Megabyte is seen in a flying car. (Actually, its more like a three-wheeled motorcycle.) He goes down a hallway (severely backlit), then the camera view alternates between a head shot (going in and out of shadows) and his feet. He bursts through the door, talks a bit, and puts his fist down on the table, causing the tea cup to bounce.

Matrix tries to talk to Bob, and get them to trust him. "Why should we trust you, Megabyte?" asks Dot. Bob and Dot refuse to believe that Enzo is under Megabyte's skin. Instead, Bob yells out "Your cycles are numbered, Megabyte!" and attacks him with an energy beam. As MB is forced to retreat, his image shows up on a VidWindow, and the picture gets X'ed out. Phong declares that he must be filed and index. Dot says "be seeing you". MB gets picked up by a giant card picker and as he is being carried to the file cabinets, he calls out, " I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, [indexed,] briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. You won't hold me!" He infects the card picker and escapes.

AndrAIa is in Hex's lair, sitting in a hemispherical red chair. She thinks she is in touch with her emotions, but Hexadecimal's voice keeps coming through. Matrix drive's MB's trike through a hole in the ceiling, and as it shuts down, it sounds like a Harley Davidson at idle. "That's a nice bike!" "What is it with you and bikes?" Hexadecimal states the advantages of being like Megabyte. Matrix rejects that, declaring that he has to prove to them that he's Enzo ... even if he has to delete them all to do it!

Phong decides Bob and Dot should meet Number 1. (As they leave, Phong asks the butler "How's your back, Nine?") Matrix and AndrAIa follow them from Al's Diner to Dot's Diner. MB bursts through the front door and finds...

... a dimly lit room with Cecil and Mike on a teeter-totter, a jury of 12 binomes with face masks (half black, half white), Dot scowling, a giant One (in charcoal and grey), two pits with poles sticking up, and Bob as "Da Judge".

The defendant is charged with believing that the ends justified the means and with becoming everthing he claims to hate. Hack and Slash appear from the pits as character witnesses (singing "Dem Bones") but do not help his case. The jury declares him guilty. Dot strikes MB/Enzo on the chest, then is de-rezed by the blue virus's claws. The entire courtroom gets slashed, leaving only Hexadecimal's face. She, too, disappears, leaving Matrix alone. He demands to know who is Number 1, and sees a reflection of himself in a VidWindow. Megabyte's voice explains that he, Hatred, is Number 1. Then the grown Enzo is looking at the little Enzo, who accuses him of loving only himself. The apparition is replaced with the original Enzo (wearing 01 on his shirt). The little guy states the obvious: "You hate me." "You have forgotten your family - you let yourself become a prisoner of the games."

Little Enzo's last line is: "There can be only one. Be seeing you." He throws a golf ball that turns into a white weather balloon and smothers Matrix.

He wakes up on the golf course; AndrAIa is standing over him and laughing. "The mighty Matrix was knocked down by an errant golf ball." Their partners are a stuffed tiger (from "Calvin and Hobbes"), a somberero and a shark.

Matrix decides that the search for Mainframe and Bob needs to get serious, now. His targeting computer rotates into view, and Matrix blows away the game with a final "Be seeing you!"

References
    * Be seeing you - first reference to "The Prisoner" (if you overlook the episode title; Patrick MacGoohan's character was Number 6).
    * Dem Bones - In the final episode of the BBC television show "The Prisoner", the main character (Number 6) is at a farce trial,
       where witnesses come in singing "Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones".
    * The scene with the signature tune (theme song) from "The Prisoner" is an accurate rendition of that show's opening sequence.
    * Your cycles are numbered - Everyone in the Village wears a button with their ID number. The design is a pennyfarthing bicycle
       (one large wheel and one small wheel) with their number on it.
    * When the Secret Agent resigns in "The Prisoner", his ID card is X'ed out and put into a file cabinet by an automatic card picker.
       In the first episode, Number 6 states, "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.
       My life is my own. You won't hold me!"
    * Flying machine coming down through a hole in the ceiling - just like the helicopter in "Airwolf".
    * The weather balloon is called Rover; it is the guardian of The Village.
    * Poster - "Reservoir Ones" refers to the movie "Reservoir Dogs".
    * Professional golfers: Greg "The Shark" Norman, Lee "The Merry Mex" Travino and Tiger Woods.

Did You Notice?
    * Between Baudway and Kits Sector is a building that has a large yellow ladybug on its side.
    * Hack says "that goes triple for me" and holds up three hands.
    * When Dot says "Why should we trust you, Megabyte?", she is rendered using the ABC-approved mono-breast from Season I,
       instead of the cross-your-heart design shown in the rest of this episode.
    * Matrix leaves out the word "indexed" in the "I will not be pushed" speech.
    * Wall of filing cabinets - also reminicent of the movie Brazil.
    * All the golf references: Birdie, Bogie, back nine, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: