Dots Diner - The Reboot Fan Forum
Dots Diner - A Reboot Fan Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:54:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2x09 - Trust No One

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2x09 - Trust No One  (Read 1229 times)
User
CPU
Lurker

« on: July 14, 2007, 12:53:09 am »

Written by: Mark Leiren-Young
Story by: Gavin Blair, Mark Leiren-Young, Phil Mitchell, Ian Pearson, Susan Turner.
Special guest appearance: Gillian Anderson as Data Nully, Fax Modem: Scott McNeill, Turbo: Garry Chalk

This is the third part of a five-part story:

1. "Nullzilla"
   2. "Gigabyte"
   3. "Trust No One"
   4. "Web World Wars"
   5. "To Mend and Defend"

Synopsis
The title is not displayed at first - instead, the opening is more like an episode of the "X-Files" with low-level lighting and weird camera angles. In the alley behind Al's Diner on Level 31, Al's waiter is seen emptying the trash ("Garbage in, garbage out") and Al is, as usual, off screen when he yells "what?". Then the point of view becomes that of "Predator 2" - something evil is hiding amongst the pipes. The waiter screams, then is dragged off. Cut to the title, "TRUST NO ONE", (black letters outlined in flourescent green on a black background).

Mouse (the woman with flaming red hair, filigreed lilac skin, white top, and black tights) sashays into Dot's Diner where Bob is having an energy shake. The cops are eating donuts when a One reports that Al's waiter has been abducted. Enzo bursts in, and tells Bob that his sister, Dot, is also missing. Miss Brodie, a teacher Zero, confirms the story. (Enzo's friend is AndrAIa, an AI game sprite.)

Bob goes to Al's "Wait and Eat" Diner on Level 31. This is where the low lifes of Mainframe hang out. A waiter with an attitude skates past. Al himself is not much help, he just says "what?". A pair of Ones notice Bob's interrogation; a man with a squinty eye, wearing a disheveled black suit and a pretty redhead wearing a blue pantsuit. [Because Ones don't have noses, the guy does not look as cute as David Duchovny, but Gillian Anderson's mouth and hair are well rendered.]

Him
    You ask a lot of questions, Guardian.
Bob
    Who are you?
Him
    CGI Special Agent, Fax Modem.
Her
    CGI Special Agent, Data Nully. We couldn't help overhearing you. You're looking for a missing person?
Bob
    Yeah, Dot Matrix is missing. Do you know anything about it?
Fax
    There's been a rash of disappearances in Mainframe.
Data
    Phong sent us to investigate the most recent disappearance, Al's waiter.
Bob
    We should talk.
(meanwhile)
    Mike the TV is doing an on-the-scene report. Mouse is trailing them, and making a report to someone else.
Bob
    I can't accept that. Mouse is an old friend.
Data
    Bob, you've got to be reasonable on this. All evidence points to Mouse. We have eyewitnesses that will testify to her being on or near the scene of each abduction.
Bob
    Coincidence.
Data
    Tell him your theory, Modem.
Fax
    (very dramatic) Her *fangs*.
Bob
    Yeah? So? She's got fangs!
Fax
    I suspect she's a Web-creature.
Bob
    What! Oh, now *this* is ridiculous. These aren't theories. These are--delusions!
Fax
    Listen...(foreboding music starts)...when I was just a little node, I saw my sister taken by a strange creature. It had fangs... just like Mouse.
Bob
    Excuse me. But is your partner *completely* random??
Data
    (in a tired voice) Not--completely. (gives sidelong glance at Fax)
Bob
    OK, why didn't it take you too, then.
Fax
    I don't know. I was reading comic bytes in bed. When I peeked out from under the covers I saw something hovering over my sister. Then I pointed my flashlight at it, and a moment later, it, and my sister were gone. I'll never forget the noise it made.
Bob
    I don't want to seem insensitive, but next you'll be telling me that you've see the User.
Fax
    There is no User. That's just induced mass psychosis engineered by the Guardians.
Bob
    What?!? But what about the games?
Fax
    Sent by the Guardians to promote the User myth.
Data
    Another conspiracy theory, Modem?
Fax
    One of many...
Bob
    So, let me get this straight. There's a web-creature, posing as Mouse, loose in Mainframe, abducting sprites. For what purpose?
Fax
    I haven't worked that out yet.
Bob
    OK. And Guardians are control freaks, willing to sacrifice the very people they've been sworn to protect by dropping games on them.
Fax
    That's right.
Bob
    Tell me - did Phong interview you personally for this job? Didn't think so.
Data
    Look, this isn't getting us anywhere. What we need is a plan, not theories.
Bob
    You ... remind me of someone.
(meanwhile)
    Mike the TV finishes up an interview on the scene of the latest abduction. [A picture of the Five is on a milk carton.] When he turns around, Mike's camera crew is gone. He starts to run, then the shadow of a multi-tentacled creature overtakes him. Mike is heard falling, then a flickering white light shines out. The creature screeches, then its shadow is seen running away. Cut back to the diner, where Fax is holding is head, wincing.
Data
    Are you alright, Modem?
Fax
    (in pain) That's it ... that's the noise the creature made.
Bob
    Quick, outside! Now!
(they find)
    Mouse bending over the unconcious TV, which has flickering "snow" instead of a face.
Data
    Hold it, CGI! (The agents pull out some large handguns.)
Mouse
    hiss (as she bares her fangs).
Bob
    Mouse, what are you doing?
Mouse
    It's not what you think. Bob, you've got to let me go.
Bob
    You know I can't do that.
(standoff)
    Mouse gets to her feet, then glances behind the agents. They follow her stare, and are dumbfounded when Mouse pulls a katana sword from her boot and slices their guns in half.
Bob
    Don't make me do this, Mouse.
Mouse
    Trust me. (She kisses him, and runs off while Bob is dazed.)
Bob
    Glitch: tracer (Glitch sends out a dot which embeds itself in Mouse's boot.) You two look after Mike; I'm going after her. (Bob jumps on his zipboard and speeds away.)
Data
    (taps on Mike's glass until he wakes up.) Are you OK?
Mike
    Ooo! It bit me!
Fax
    Calm down.
Mike
    It was the light. The light I tell you! The light saved me. (babbles)
Data
    Just like your sister, Modem.
Fax
    Wait here. I've to get something from the CPU.
Mike
    I can't think straight. I can take it. Tell me the truth. Tell me the camera was rolling.
Data
    (shakes head)

Bob tells Phong that they're dealing with a web-creature, but that it's not Mouse. Mouse uses her wrist communicator to tell someone named Turbo that they have confirmation of the web-creature but continues on to free the Mainframers. She slides down an elevator shaft. At the bottom, there is more evidence of the creature shedding its skin. She walks past a trash can, and the cliche happens - a small animal jumps out and runs away. (Instead of a cat yowling, it is a Null, a brightly colored slug.) She looks up and sees several bodies encased in cocoons, arranged in neat rows. Drawing her sword, Mouse advances until she gets to Dot and frees the woman.

After the other abductees are freed (including a Nine and a clown), Mouse stays behind to get physical evidence that the web-creature exists. The web-creature arrives. It has jaws bigger than a person, and a near infinite number of small spheres that make up its arms. One of them grabs Dot. Fax and Data show up, and use their incredibly bright flashlights to immobilize the creature. It drops Dot, and Bob catches her.

Data
    You were right. It can't stand the strong light.
Fax
    (in a somewhat smarmy voice) I'm sure there's a *very* scientific reason for it.
Data
    But...we don't know what it is!

Mouse continues transmitting to Turbo, an imposing man wearing a Guardian's suit. There are other Guardians around him, half in shadow. One of them states that creature is Class M, with portal-forming abilities. [We have never seen any Guardian other than Bob. Is this a cabal, or some sort of Star Chamber?]

Mouse explains that she has been working for Turbo (that's why she was in the neighborhood when the distress call went out) and that she's just called in the cavalry. Bob informs her that the Guardian protocol for discovering a web-creature is to destroy it and everything around it.

Turbo and the others in the high command release the codes that will trigger an explosion. Turbo asks the others to leave, "I'd like to be alone - Bob and I go way back." When they are gone, Turbo turns the virtual hourglass over again - this gives Bob a little more time.

Data
    Hurry, Bob. We're running low. We don't have much time.
Bob
    (uses Glitch to determine that Mouse's communicator is the bomb.)
Data
    Guardian, we can't hold it for much longer. (Their flashlights go out just as security team brings up more spotlights.)

The innocent bystanders of Mainframe are shown: Momma binome and her baby binome, a bunch of binomes on a sidewalk, and the penguin in front of a Zip-Board refueling station. Bob zooms off in an attempt to get the device out of Mainframe.

It goes off in a big explosion, and tears a hole in the sky. The swirling in the hole becomes eight small tears, and then one giant tear. The glowing green and white ball of plasma illuminates Mainframe like a carbon-arc lamp. The light is strong enough to reach the lower levels. The web-creature appears to gain energy from its spectrum, and smashes a hole through several layers of concrete to the surface.

Bob barely escapes the blast. When Phong tells him that the web-creature has escaped, Bob is most distraught. "It's a Class-M! It can use the tear energy to form a portal to the Web!" The web spore merges with the tear and the portal is formed. It is a sphere as big as Mainframe filled with radially-symmetric tendrils.

Fax
    It just broke free.
Data
    We couldn't stop it.
Fax
    You see, Nully--the Web *is* out there.
Data
    No, Modem--it's here.
Bob
    This is it, Phong. Prepare for war.

Next time, on Reboot: All the security vehicles (police cars) are lined up waiting for battle with the Web.

References
Some of the character's names are computer puns. This is explained on the Characters page.

* GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out is a programmers mantra; feeding unreliable data to a computer program produces unreliable results.
    * Brodie - Must be a reference to "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", a famous play. The title character is a school teacher.
    * Waiters with attitudes and rollerskates can be found in some of the dining establishments in Vancouver.
    * CGI - Computer Generated Imagery (which decribes how ReBoot is produced), or Common Gateway Interface,
       used to make dynamic pages on the World Wide Web. An example of the latter does the "Hello, WebSurfer" message for this site.
    * CPU - Central Police Unit = cop car.
    * Katana - a type of Samuri sword used by Duncan MacLeod in "Highlander" (another series that is filmed in Vancouver, Canada).
    * Cabal - at one time, the USENET newsgroups (such as rec.arts.tv) were controlled by a semi-mythical cabal of computer gurus.

Did You Notice?

* The code number for this episode is 9507. Did anyone spot it?
    * Miss Brodie is Scottish, but is not wearing the Brodie tartan.
    * The customers at Al's Diner: a Seven, and a One with a bone in its hair.
    * Data Nully is wearing the same sort of cross that Dana Scully wears.
    * The penguin from "The Wrong Trousers" show up again.
    * The missing Five already has his picture on a milk carton (which also has the French word "lait" written on it).
    * Mouse might be afraid of heights.
    * No, that's not a Six in a cocoon; it's a Nine held upside down.
    * One of the beast's victims was the clown that juggled Nulls in "Talent Night" and was squashed by Nulls in "Nullzilla".
    * When Mainframe Security turns their spotlights on, it goes green, green, green, yellow, red (like the lights at an NRHA drag race).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:57:13 am by JamesKirk » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: